29 June 2010

Grown Ups

Directed by: Denis Dugan
Written by: Adam Sandler & Fred Wolf
Full credits at IMDb

...Grown Ups wants nothing more than wrap itself in the stars-and-stripes, down a beer and belch. But if this is The Real America, I want to burn my American flag boxer shorts! That’s what really bugged me about this movie. I mean, sure, I was pissed off about a lot of things: the horrible writing (Adam Sandler’s first line was, literally, “I’m the biggest agent in Hollywood”), the laziest plotting I think I’ve ever seen in a movie (“what do you want to do today?” “go to a water park?” and then they’re at the water park), the relegation of great actresses and comediennes (Maria Bello, Salma Hayek, Maya Rudolph) to shrewy scenery, and the smug self-amusement of five of Hollywood’s unfunniest men (Adam Sandler, Kevin James, David Spade, Rob Schneider and Chris Rock), each of whom spend the movie trying to find different ways of making fun of each other based on their race and physical appearance...Isn’t that funny? Mentioning identifying characteristics about other people that we’re usually encouraged not to mention?

Keep reading my conversation with Benjamin Sutton at The L Magazine


Watch the trailer:

No comments: